Dorival Jr leaves Sao Paulo to become Brazil’s new manager

schedule
2024-01-08 | 08:31h
update
2024-01-08 | 08:31h
person
omasports.com
domain
omasports.com
Football Dorival Jr leaves Sao Paulo to become Brazil’s new manager
Isaiah EneojoJanuary 8, 2024
10 1 minute read
354 Views

Dorival Jr has left his role as coach of Brazilian side Sao Paulo and is set to take charge of the country’s national team.

His departure from Sao Paulo was announced by the club on X but the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) is yet to confirm his appointment.

Advertisement

“It’s a personal dream come true,” said the 61-year-old.

Brazil parted company with interim coach Fernando Diniz on Friday.

The CBF was keen to appoint a coach on a permanent basis with Brazil in South America’s sixth and final automatic qualifying place for the 2026 World Cup.

Brazil followed a draw against Venezuela on October 13 by losing their next three qualifiers against Argentina, Colombia and Uruguay.

Dorival’s first matches in charge of Brazil will be friendlies in March against England and Spain in Europe.

He led Flamengo to the Copa Libertadores title and the Brazilian Cup in 2022 before joining Sao Paulo, whom he guided to their first Brazilian Cup last year.

The much-travelled coach has also taken charge of Atletico Mineiro, Athletico Paranaense, Internacional, Vasco da Gama, Fluminense and Palmeiras.

Dorival, a defensive midfielder in his playing days, added that the move “was only possible because I received recognition for the work carried out in Sao Paulo”.

Diniz – who had a one-year contract combining the role with his post as coach of Copa Libertadores champions Fluminense – oversaw three defeats, a draw and two wins in his qualifiers in charge.

Brazil have been without a permanent head coach since the 2022 World Cup, when Tite resigned following their quarter-final defeat by Croatia. Under-20s coach Ramon Menezes took charge before Diniz was appointed.

CBF president Ednaldo Rodrigues claimed last July that Carlo Ancelotti would take over from Diniz this summer, but the 64-year-old Italian signed a new deal with Real Madrid late last month to keep him at the club until June 2026.

Sao Paulo president Julio Casares said their coach being chosen to lead the Brazil national team showed the club is being run impressively.

“The invitation to Dorival is further proof that we are on the right track,” he said. “All that remains is to wish him good luck in his new challenge.”

Advertisement

Imprint
Responsible for the content:
omasports.com
Privacy & Terms of Use:
omasports.com
Mobile website via:
WordPress AMP Plugin
Last AMPHTML update:
07.03.2025 - 10:46:52
Privacy-Data & cookie usage: