Novak Djokovic said he is preparing for the U.S. Open as though he will be allowed to compete at the hardcourt Grand Slam despite his refusal to take the COVID-19 vaccine.
Djokovic, who has three U.S. Open titles, will not be able to participate at this year’s event due to current rules under which travellers seeking to enter the U.S. have to be fully vaccinated and provide a proof before boarding flights.
Earlier this month, the 35-year-old was included in the entry list for the August 29-September 11 tournament in New York.
“I am preparing as if I will be allowed to compete, while I await to hear if there is any room for me to travel to U.S.,” Djokovic said in a post on Instagram along with a video of him practicing.
More than 43,000 people have signed an online petition calling for the United States Tennis Association (USTA) to work with the U.S. government to allow 21-times major champion Djokovic to compete in the U.S. Open.
Djokovic won the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon titles last year but was unable to defend his Australian Open crown this year after being deported from Australia over his vaccination status in January.
The Serbian later said he was prepared to miss Grand Slam tournaments rather than take the COVID-19 vaccine.
- I Trust Pogba, Not His Brother – Mbappe
- Real Madrid beat Frankfurt to claim 2022 Uefa Super Cup
- Frankfurt boss Oliver Glasner: “We respect Real Madrid but we don’t fear them”
- Carlo Ancelotti: “It’s always special to win,”Madrid boss says ahead of Frankfurt Super Cup clash
- “I knew I could do more,” Real forward Benzema says game & ambition now on different level
/ 6 years ago
Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia...