Liverpool summer signing Darwin Nunez made his mark as he sealed a 3-1 victory for the Reds over close rivals Manchester City in a Community Shield encounter.
FA Cup winners Liverpool were pipped to the Premier League title by a single point last term after a season-long fight with City, but came out on top in a thrilling game in Leicester on Saturday.
Trent Arnold-Alexander put the Reds in front in the first half before City drew level through Julian Alvarez 20 minutes from time.
Mohamed Salah edged Liverpool back in front by scoring from the penalty spot with eight minutes remaining before Nunez wrapped up the win, as he stooped to head in from close range.
Liverpool came agonisingly close to a quadruple last season as they won the Carabao Cup and FA Cup, but they missed out on the league by the smallest of margins and were defeated in the Champions League final by Real Madrid.
Two months on from that loss in Paris, the Reds were back in action against a Man City side they have formed an intense rivalry with over the last four years.
- I Trust Pogba, Not His Brother – Mbappe
- Real Madrid beat Frankfurt to claim 2022 Uefa Super Cup
- Frankfurt boss Oliver Glasner: “We respect Real Madrid but we don’t fear them”
- Carlo Ancelotti: “It’s always special to win,”Madrid boss says ahead of Frankfurt Super Cup clash
- “I knew I could do more,” Real forward Benzema says game & ambition now on different level
/ 6 years ago
Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia...