Serena Williams marked her return to tennis with an impressive win after she partnered up with Ons Jabeur for a 2-6 6-3 13-11 doubles victory over Marie Bouzkova and Sara Sorribes Tormo in the Rothesay International Eastbourne.
The 23-time grand-slam champion made her comeback appearance 12 months after she was forced to retire in the first round at Wimbledon due to a right leg injury.
Williams told the BBC: “It was so fun to play with Ons. We had fun. Our opponents played amazing and we were just trying to stay in there.”
Asked whether they will play doubles together at Wimbledon, Williams added: “We’re taking this show on the road! No, we’re just taking it one day at a time.“
Williams and Jabeur will face Shuko Aoyama and Hao-Ching Chan for a place in the semifinals on Wednesday as preparations for Wimbledon continues.
Williams, a seven-time winner at SW19, will be seeking a record-equalling 24th Grand Slam when Wimbledon kickoffs on 27 June.
- Tunisia’s Ons Jabeur reveals ‘huge’ admiration for Ronaldo
- NFF denies reports of Maduka Okoye not wanting to play for Nigeria
- Tottenham sign Richarlison from Everton for £60m
- “It’s just a question of momentum” – Drogba believes Osimhen can become world’s best
- Mane and Salah headline 30-man list for Caf Player of the Year award
/ 5 years ago
Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia...